On Saturday, March 15, 1941, President Franklin D. Roosevelt arrived at the Willard Hotel at 7 p.m. and was greeted by the U.S. Navy Band, which played “Hail to the Chief” and “Anchors Aweigh.” He was then moved from his wheelchair into a special chair brought over from 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue for the White House Correspondents’ Association’s annual dinner. Seated between outgoing association President Thomas F. Reynolds of United Press, and his successor, John C. O’Brien of The Philadelphia Inquirer, Roosevelt laughed at the reporters’ jokes and sang along loudly when George H. O’Connor crooned his usual medley of Irish and popular songs. While Roosevelt ate South American honeydew, supreme of sea bass Victoria au crouton, and breast of guinea hen forestière, the Navy Band played and a chorus from the Naval School of Music sang. Then came a faux newsreel produced by Paramount, which included a segment making fun of the Lend-Lease Act debate. It was nine months before Pearl Harbor.